Homage to Layers Magazine

One of my favorite design magazines, Layers, ceased publication recently. I have enjoyed it for years, starting with its predecessor, Mac Design. Many of the graphic designers I know and respect have written articles to inspire and challenge us. I've downloaded some of the sample projects to help develop various production skills with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. I'm extremely grateful to Scott Kelby and his team for their work. Looking forward to the new features that will appear in Photoshop User magazine (http://www.photoshopuser.com/), and to reviewing tuts on Layers' website http://layersmagazine.com/ .

The last issue of Layers used rounded corners graphics in a number of creative ways. One I noted was the use of numbers in tutorial lessons, like this one, an InDesign CS5 tutorial by Terry White.

Taking my own advice, I created a series using Quark XPress 8.5.
Added a drop shadow to the tutorial number
Changed the number font, added a drop shadow to the other type.
And one more: applying a gradient, adding a stylized rule and reduced opacity type.


Try a few of your own!

Comments